Subject: Re: Settings for Moonlight
From: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
To: Thomas Healy <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 11:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

> Things I've tried:
> 
> Ball object for moon (With slightly larger one for transparent glow)
> Messed with high luminocity to give the glow look
> Glow behind lens flare.

You could use a flat disk instead of a ball, and map a picture of the 
moon on it.  Would probobly be faster and might look better.  If you do 
choose that course:

0 diffusion, 100 luminosity, Color image map of the moon on the moon.  
For the glow:

  Don't know how well a Glow Behind Lens Flare might look, but I guess 
	you tried that already.

  Glow Feature (but you don't have LW 4.0 yet...)

  Make a flat plane bigger than the flat moon.  Make an image map in 
	DPaint that fades out at the edges.  Easiest way is to make a 
	circle (preferably by rendering out the flat moon disc and the 
	plane the way they would be set up in Layout, so everything will
	be the right size).  Cut the circle out as a brush, and select a 
	whiteish color.  Then hit "o" to Outline the circle in the 
	whitish color.  Repeat, using a slightly darker color, and after 
	a bit you'll have a nice circle that has a border that fades from
	white to black.

	If you did render out the plane and the disk, you'll want to make 
	sure you cut out the circle as a brush you make so it is the EXACT
	same size as the plane.  If you don't cut the brush out at right 
	size, you''ll have to play with the Texture Size setting in LW so
	the map will fit.

	Now, load this image into LW.  Select the plane object, and map 
	the circle as a Planar Image Map on the Transparency channel.  
	Hit Autosize, and it should fit perfectly.  You may have to hit 
	Negative Image for the right effect.  I used this technique to 
	make a cool glow around a logo I did.

> BTW: I'm using 3.5 Amiga, so no glow option :(

That's OK -- I've heard it's pretty slow, anyway...  I'll have to 
actually try it sometime.  I can almost see Glow replacing Lens Flares as 
the most overused LW effect (glowing logos, glowing object, glowing 
everything...)

Hope this helps...

-- Joe
--
Joe Angell <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]